* FROM Susan B *
My visit to Chacala last year was indeed a lovely safe retreat. Casa Tortuga was a beautiful private place to be alone or share like minded company. Mike's meals were varied and plentiful, using the lovely fruits and vegetables available locally. The expeditions I took advantage of were reasonably priced and very interesting and of course the Tienge..market...was lots of fun. I would encourage a single, not particularly experienced traveller to join the group, lots of support for any difficulties. or to meet new friends.
Of course the daily classes of Somatic teaching were very valuable, much to my advantage, to practise frequently, rather than on a weekly or less basis.
I really learned what Hanna Somatics is all about.
* FROM Jenny H *
This winter will be my third trip to Chacala with the Breathing Space. Obviously I like it!
My reasons are:
1. Chacala is small and not very touristy - not many shops, no beach hawkers, but really Mexican.
2. The swimming is excellent - some places on the Pacific coast have big waves and difficult access to the ocean for swimming. Chacala's water is never dangerous.
3. The accommodations are simple but clean and comfortable.
4. Living with a group of yoga people is very easy. The atmosphere is very friendly but if you want time on your own you can have it. If you come on your own you need not feel lonely.
5. Food is simple and healthy. Participants help out a little with dishes etc but it's totally optional.
6. Perhaps most important is the 'shape' of the day which involves classes and free time and excursions, all of which are optional. Participants are offered excellent instruction in somatic yoga and enjoy the benefits of daily practice.
Monica and her husband Mike work hard to create a community of people who are supportive and fun. I can't wait to go again this year.
I really encourage you to join us this year and see for yourself!
* FROM Marie Allison *
Being a part of the Chacala retreat last February was a great highlight of the year in a corner of paradise.
Every part of it was wonderful.
Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by familiar smiling faces and felt that we had arrived home.
The villa and room accommodations were great and the food superbly prepared.
The worshops and classes were concienciously organized and filled with useful and new knowledge.
The early morning walks on the beach , the swimming and playing in the waves added to the dream holiday.
* FROM Jim N*
I have been to Chacala twice: the 2nd year I stayed for both weeks. Monica is a great organizer, there are a number of optional activities (walk to a dormant volcano crater, tour ancient petroglyphs, etc.), very good food, as well as somatics/yoga. The village of Chacala is delightful: small, friendly, easy to explore, with a perfect crescent beach. I highly recommend Monica's retreats.